Monday, November 4, 2013

Recipe Monday: homemade vanilla!

Over the weekend I picked up a bottle of white rum (it's supposed to be about as flavorless as vodka) and was able to start the process of making my own jar of vanilla!!! I thought I'd have enough for two jars but the one bottle filled the one quart mason jar perfectly. 
I bought my vanilla beans at Costco about a month ago and was excited to use them in a fun recipe! Soon after I saw this post on "our best bites" for homemade vanilla and thought it would be so cool to try making my own! I thought it would be fun to use it as Christmas gifts like they did but I never did order more beans. So I am happy to try it out this time and maybe next year I'll try making more for friends :)
I'll be sure to post how it turns out once it's ready to use next month! For those of you that never knew vanilla was made with alcohol, I didn't know either until a friend made some last year! Most real vanilla extracts are 35-40% alcohol, never knew that before! Hope everyone is having a happy Monday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment